SIU ends SAT & ACT score requirements for admission

Raejanae Vaughn

It has came to my attention that SIU plans to end SAT & ACT score requirements for admission within the next year. Research has shown that the most important predictor of college success is a student’s high school grade point average.

Test like SAT or ACT can be a barrier to higher education for many students because of the cost of taking the exams. Applicants with a high school grade point average of 2.75 or higher who have met course requirements will be admitted to the University regardless of whether they submit their SAT or ACT scores. They’ve made it more eligible for most people by making this decision. Undergraduates that has a grade point average lower than 2.75 are still required to submit SAT or ACT scores. Many colleges and universities nationwide have been dropping the requirement, including University of Chicago, the University of Arizona, and Wake Forest University.

Some argue that they aren’t an accurate representation of a student’s academic aptitude, others argue that too much focus is put on obtaining a high score that other elements are unfairly neglected. I asked SIU student, JaeAnna Pritchard, how she felt personally about them changing the requirements for admission, she states: “Personally, I think the decision to end SAT and ACT requirements would be great for admission because the people who apply have a greater chance on being accepted. This gives the students who are bad test takers but good students a chance.” I agree because most people may not even try to apply because of the high requirements they have to meet, this will

Steve Buhman, University Communi
2014-09-03-01_SIU Entrance with Student Services Building

Steve Buhman, University Communi

give people a bigger chance be comfortable with applying knowing they have a 50% chance of getting in.