Gun Control

Gun Control

Steph Avalos

Gun control has been a serious issue in the United States, divided by liberals and conservatives on the second amendment, which protects the right of individuals to keep and bear arms. There are 7 states which permit concealed carry of guns on public colleges and university campuses, and there’s been a number of mass shootings in public schools making the topic raise in social media and news reports. Schools have practiced shutdowns with their students for them to be aware of the procedure in case a shooting may occur, yet we still have victims and families burying their children.

Students who suffer from a traumatic experience can become depressed, develop PTSD, anxiety, and affects their relationship with his friends and family members. More gun control will reduce deaths according to many Democrats, while conservatives argue that the government can’t take away their guns because of their protection from the second amendment. Yet this group doesn’t understand the government won’t ban them from individual protection or hunting, just secure their mental health, and check perform background checks on individuals with criminal records. With this preventing another mass shooting, death of an innocent person because of the owners unstable mentality or rage of the heat of the moment. 

A student in Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland Florida named Nikolas Cruz committed a mass shooting in the beginning of the year killing 17 people,  The New York Times informed us how the students “huddled in horror” while witnessing gunshots. The armed young man later on claimed he was mentally ill. Senator Bernie Sanders addressed this by saying, “After 18 school shootings in America in just 43 days of 2018, the Congress might want to consider common-sense gun safety legislation and save innocent lives” according to Checking Facts and Falsehoods About Gun Violence and Mental Illness After Parkland Shooting

Gun control will be a huge help with woman who suffer from domestic abuse. The National Domestic Abuse Hotline has reported 4 million domestic abuse calls during 22 years, and in the states that require a background check for every purchase of a gun/firearm make the likely hood of a woman shot to death by their partner reduced by 38%. Gun Control- ProCon.org declare there are 41 states that do not force convicted domestic abusers from removing the guns they already owned. Many women suffer from domestic violence in the United States, not only from their  partners but many abusers come inside the family household.

A mix of physical violence and threatening to place a gun into itself or the victim’s own head, make the victim became fearful, unable to trust, became severely depressed and suicidal. Hundreds of abusers threat to end their own life, hers or someone she deeply cares about to force their victim to stay and continue to bear with the damage the abuser inflicts.

Other countries with well-built gun laws have fewer gun related suicides and homicides; Japan being the number one with the lowest gun related homicides stated by U.S. Gun Policy: Global Comparisons. Before being granted permission to obtain a gun you must first accomplish a written test, a mental health evaluation, background check, and the government will ask a series of questions to family and friends ones, if passed they will continue to do a annual inspection as stated in Business Insider .

“Guns don’t kill people, people do.” Yes, and with gun regulation we can make sure we don’t allow unstable people to obtain one.