The Student News Site of Carbondale Community High School

Terrier Times

Terrier Times

Terrier Times

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Track and Field on the bus to success

Coming off of a decent end to last year’s season, qualifying for numerous events at the 2023 state meet, the terrier track and field program are looking to take a bigger bus to state this season.

Last season the boys had multiple qualifiers for state, Henry Harsy, a jr. last year went for shot put and threw 41 ‘5.75 in the prelims and placed 28th at state. Austin Dedecker, a jr. Last year as well went for the 400m dash, placing 3rd overall with a time of 49.64, Austin also a part of the qualifying 4x400m relay including jr. Brennan Gleason, so. Makari Roper, and fr. Oluwapelumi Badejo went on to place 4th overall in the relay, beating their school record with a time of 3:21.36.

Coach Gary at his desk speaking with student athletes. (Austin B. DeDecker)

Now coming into the 2024 season the terriers want more. This year Head Coach Mykel Gary, and assistants Deandre Smith, Kassandra Gregory and Joshua Vogel, are pushing their athletes to greater heights. Coach Gary started coaching the terriers in 2022 and became the sprint coach they were needing.

When asked about how he feels about the team coming into the new season?, Coach Gary says “confident that we should be able to have a successful season across the board, we have some holes to fill, but if we do what we need to do we should have a pretty good season”. The terriers track team is currently in their indoor season with two meets until indoor state, this means the deadline for qualifying is coming up soon.

Coach Burnside teaches jumpers about correct technique. (Austin B. DeDecker)

Last year the boys didn’t make it to the indoor state but this season hope to make a statement at both indoor and outdoor state. In addition, when asked as a Coach what he wants out of this season? Coach Gary stated “i want more than we got last season, i want a bigger bus ride to state as a team. I want us to really move as a unit with more structure and discipline, especially at meets.  I want us to be sharper as a unit, and more mentally and physically prepared than we have been in the past”.