The Student News Site of Carbondale Community High School

Terrier Times

Terrier Times

Terrier Times

Negative Experiences with Coaches

Coaches are an important part of an athlete’s life, especially in high school. These are the people who are supposed to motivate you to be and do your very best. These are a few athletes at CCHS that have had negative experiences with a coach.

“I played Volleyball for 6 years (Riley Sanders). I played basketball for 4 years (Jacob Cross). I played basketball for 4 years (Izzy Kraus). I played Volleyball for 5 years (Ella Karayiannis).”

What happened for you to decide to quit your sport? 

“My coach I felt was rude and discriminatory. She would always call me and a couple on my teammates names, and she was just not the best influence on my life and made it harder. My coaches weren’t very encouraging while I was at practice and they would always talk down about me. We had a freshman team but our coach never played freshman on in, instead she played sophomores and I never really got the chance to improve so I kind of sucked the whole year. I quit because my coach was picking favorites and I didn’t get much play time.”

Were there other players on the team that were treated differently?

“Yeah if you were one of the better players you were definitely treated a lot differently. Yes the better players were treated differently but it’s a little bit understandable for me because they were already so much better. Yeah she picked favorites mostly were the people who played on her club team the longest.”

Do you feel like you were targeted by the Coach?

“Not directly because there were also other freshmen experiencing the same thing. Not really, because many other players were struggling with the same thing.”