Graduation: The Ultimate Test of Senior Year

As seniors in high schools across the country prepare for graduation, they are faced with a lot of emotions, including excitement, fear, and anxiety. For many, graduating high school is a big deal and a great accomplishment, marking the end of their childhood and beginning of adulthood. However, this time of celebration can also be a time of intense pressure.

I asked two seniors about their opinion about the upcoming graduation. An anonymous person would go on and say, “I’m happy that school is almost over. I Don’t have to worry about any more assignments or waking up early in the morning. I really didn’t even like school, I just went because I had to. If it was my choice I would’ve been left. When corona hit everything changed. I started getting distant with people because of the lock down. Then we had that year when we went remote so basically two years without people. Then came back and everyone seems different or has changed. My high school experience was fun but it seems like Corona really messed everything up.” The other student would go on and say, “It’s so stressful. We got all these assignments. Finals coming up, and then prom. My grades have never been so low. Senioritis really got to me. It’s like after being in school for so long you’re just ready to go. I got college soon but after I graduate I’m taking a little break. I can’t wait to walk that stage.” As you can see, people have different feelings about graduation.

One of the biggest pressures that seniors face is the expectation to know what they want to do with the rest of their lives. For many students, graduating from high school means going on to college or entering the workforce but with all the choices, it can be stressful which route to take. Many students feel overwhelmed about choosing a major, or finding a job, and making sure they are on the right track to accomplish their goals. The way others stand out to their classmates can be another way pressure is put on the seniors. Throughout high school students are often compared whether it’s grades, athletics, or after school activities. Graduation marks the end of all that competition, but it can also feel like a last chance for students to prove themselves. This pressure can lead to stress and anxiety, as many students feel like they need to do more to prove their worth.

At the end of the day, graduation is a time to celebrate all of the hard work and achievements from the past years. While a lot of pressure may be put on students, it is also an opportunity to reflect on how far seniors have come, and to look forward to the opportunities ahead. By staying focused, seeking support, and celebrating their accomplishments, seniors can make the most of this time of transition and begin their next chapter with confidence.