The Student News Site of Carbondale Community High School

Terrier Times

Terrier Times

Terrier Times

Should CCHS change the school lunch ?

Photo taken by Boston Robbins

Students of Carbondale Community High School are displeased with the school lunch. The purpose of the free lunch is to prevent kids from going home hungry, but it doesn’t help if the food is overall unappetizing. I’m not saying every single lunch is horrible. On average, about 2 out of the 5 days the food is actually pretty good.

I asked Luca Dimaggio, a CCHS student if he looks forward to eating the school lunch. Luca replied and said, “No, I bring my own lunch to school because of how bad it is.”

Luca Dimaggio is one of many CCHS students that bring their own lunch to school, but not everyone can afford to bring lunch every day. The school should bring back the food court they had back in the day, or have a bigger variety of lunches available. If you don’t want to eat the dry and nasty Sloppy Joe sandwiches, you should be able to pick from at least a  cheeseburger or a chicken sandwich. 

Another problem is the proportion sizes that the school hands out. Usually on Thursday, we have something pasta related, which, for the most part, is actually pretty good. However, I shouldn’t finish my food in 3 small bites. We are in high school ages 14-18, students shouldn’t have the same proportions for a 5-year-old child. 

I hold nothing against the lunch ladies or any other staff because I do understand that they’re doing their job and they have to cook and hand out what’s available. If the school can spend thousands of dollars on expanding parts of the school, they should invest that money into the students’ meals. The cafeteria can look all fancy from the outside, but the food could definitely be better.