Procrastination: Inquiry to Student Life

Often, many will make or create the assumption that individuals who often procrastinate are no more than lethargic.

Braulio Ostos, Student

Every student has been contrite of a so-called ‘intentional delay’ leading to excessive amount of work left within their schedule with such limited amount of time left to complete it. Trust me, I have been regretful of this aspect, and this “delay” makes the score of either a simple assignment, an essay, or even project terrible, decent, or even in some cases, excellent?

(I was toiling last minute to produce this.)

Working under pressure can make one perform much better than usual as their mindset is is filled with potency and determination in order to complete a certain task whether it be education or labor. In short, their only focus is the completion of a particular task, and focus is a significant particular in writing, studying, and as well as reading.

Therefore, when a student procrastinates, is he or she performing better? Is the outcome genuine or worse? Is it affecting their schedule and health? But at the moment, these questions are neglected because of the focus procrastination creates.  One doesn’t mind any other topic or individual, what one minds when working under a significant amount of pressure is that task.

What are Voluntary Delays?

As mentioned beforehand, working under pressure is simply working under a particular stress. Therefore, the question is: isn’t that already enough stress as it is?

That is what I will attempt to unravel as procrastination is linked with the mental and physical effect of stress. Stress, in its simplest form, is simply one responding to either any danger or difficulty; in this case, voluntary delay is no form of eustress, however more likely to be either acute stress and even chronic stress if one is a serious procrastinator.

Either way, putting things the last minute is not a suggestion anyone should take in consideration; however, it is highly likely that almost every student, high school or post-secondary, has been a victim of procrastination developing more stress than what education has to offer.

So, how come, when working under pressure, the willpower of just wanting to complete a task will most likely increase, for the factors of toiling under pressure are: not enough time and the consequences. So, is procrastination the cause of lower scores?

In short, it’s not procrastination that can lead to lower scores on assignments, but personal aspects of the student, which then leads to intentional delays.

The Principles:

Often, many will make or create the assumption that individuals who often procrastinate are no more than lethargic. While it made be the case, it isn’t the full picture of why students are so keen to working late before the deadline or due date – it is simply the interest and skills of the student. 

One student is consummate in mathematics, another in science, and another in history, it’s without any doubt that student will never intentionally delay within these subjects as they enjoy or seem to view it straightforward. On the other hand, one particular student is inept with language arts that include reading and constructing papers (especially essays), which tends to be the most frequent subject that involves this form of procrastination, but it all has to do whether one either dreads the assignment or the subject. That is the true cause of procrastination; it has do to the lack of interest with the assignment that tends to be left at the last moment the consequences increase as the time decreases.

A simple conclusion as most seem to perform this automatically making their personal interests come first; it is only natural.

That is, until the consequences approach…