Why Modern Education is Failing its Purpose

How has education and the overall concept of learning become, in general, boring?

Braulio Ostos, Student

Most today agree that we need to improve our modern educational system implemented; however, most are often keen to dismiss the suggested reforms towards the education system currently implemented, which isn’t very surprising as most public institutions of schooling are handled by politics, and not by morality.  

It is safe to state that this current educational system creates followers as the general purpose of today’s schooling is based upon limited individuality and creativity, which, therefore, makes school dreadful and in some cases useless.  

In short, school does not teach people to think with their own minds, but instead only wants people to learn what the system tells them to. 

Still, how has education and the overall concept of learning become, in general, boring? 

I have already answered this question, although further elaboration is needed: 

Memorization and Limited Freedom: 

We are not expected to learn to a certain subject, but instead we are expected to memorize the notions or information of a particular subject presented. What we memorize (study) for an exam, we will forget in a matter of time. Learning and memorization are two very different concepts that tend to be used in the same meaning. 

Learning something means that you enjoy it, while being forced to memorize a subject will ultimately lead to dreadfulness. 

Memorization limits freedom – creativity and enjoyment – and memorization does signify result in intelligence. Intelligence

applies to those who can solve issues, make decisions, and execute with effectiveness. If we only learn from what the system wants us to know, and test results are the only ticket to a prosperous career, it limits personal ambitions and the liberation of the mind.  

In the end, teaching gets in the way of learning.  

The State and Unsuccessful Nationalization: 

Taxes and funds are what keeps public educational institutions accessible towards the community, which means that the standards of education are established by the state. 

One example are standardized tests, but specifically is the nationalization of education such as the Common Core State Standards Initiative established in the United States, which its general purpose is to make students to know a set of skill in language arts and mathematics at the end of each grade up until twelfth year.  

In short terms, the state controls our education.  

It puts every student in equal field, which is simply ignorant as each student, or each individual learns in a different manner making education seem more like a task as it has to be performed in one manner only!  

This form of standardization is oligarchic as it means those “elites” are most likely to be selected from their scores and not their personal skills and originality. In addition, this form of nationalized education does not apply towards all members of socioeconomic status and has enormous affect upon those of low-income.  

The Common Core State Standards establishes a high bar for these students, however, it doesn’t provide teachers and schools with the financial support necessary for all students to achieve at that level. 

Ultimately, education should be about introducing learners to the amazing world around them, and not to simply make them prepared for labor. 

Industrialization and Capital: 

This school system has similarities with the systems implemented in factories throughout the Industrial Revolution. This system was designed to create simplistic and obedient workers for future labor as students (still, currently) must raise their hands for a question or on the demand of the instructor, as well as asking permission to use the restrooms, which are included in the environment of work.  

We organized in groups – classes – and are assigned positions to where we sit and are assigned subjects we are required to learn. That is, we are required to learn basic mathematics, historical aspects, as well as language; however, this process, as it looks, is basic. Schools are designed to teach a large group at a rapid pace whereas doesn’t include each student’s ambitions. 

Thus, efficiency is clearly being prized over efficacy. 

The better the scores of students, the more funding a school receives, making other schools located in low-income settings tend to remain an issue – no form of progression. 

That is it: no form of progression.