The Student News Site of Carbondale Community High School

Terrier Times

Terrier Times

Terrier Times

What Can Senior Say About Their Future

Daniella+Perez+at+SIU+Head+start+for+OJT+
Keigan Gamble
Daniella Perez at SIU Head start for OJT

What determines our future? Like, we all know how to plan ahead and how to imagine our perfect  future. Like when you were a kid you said you wanted to be a princess or knight but when you’re older and a senior in high school; what do you truly want to be, then? A teacher, a doctor, maybe even a lawyer? Nymea Simon, Daniella Perez and Dani Sander are the main focuses of our article. What did the current seniors say when I asked them about their future and what they plan on doing after high school.

Daniella Perez, a 19-year-old senior, said to me that she wanted to be a teacher for little kids. As of now, she is deciding between SIU and John A Logan, but she told me that she plans on traveling when she is done with senior high school, of course. That she may not even come back depends on if she likes the world outside of carbondale. She has good grades so she can go far in life and in college but she did admit that she does not feel brave enough  sometimes and that may keep her from going to college but knowing her, she will be brave and take the risk and gain the reward. I asked her for a quote, something that she wants the future senior to know. She said, “Try new things and it’s okay to make mistakes but don’t give up when doing so.” I find it amazing that she admitted that she was scared and maybe you’re scared too but Daniella is taking a risk and I can’t wait to see what she becomes after high school

Nymea Simon, an 18-year-old year old girl who is in some words undetermined, not in a bad way at all, but all she knows about the college that she wants to go to is that it has to have an Graphic Design Degree. Nymea admitted that she doesn’t and would not want to stay in Carbondale or in-state and that as soon as she graduates, she is out of here. I respect that, but when I asked her how she plans on getting into an art college, she just said scholarship and that she hasn’t determined what scholarship. Nymea said she doesn’t need to go to college, but she has to as she is the first born to actually go to college.

She wants her mother to be proud of her and I admire that. She may not know how to get to her goals in life, but I just know she will. Sadly, she didn’t have a quote for me, but she did tell me to think of one for her and that quote is, “No matter how far I go, I always return home to the ones who raise me.” Overall, I don’t blame Nymea for not being prepared. Honestly, we’re still in October, so maybe you should relax until December when the real clock begins to tick. 

As for Dani Sanders, they/them senior in CCHS, I honestly can’t find a word to describe them. They are interesting in a way that makes you want to learn more. Dani plans on looking for a steady job after high school and they currently work at Starbucks. Their grades are currently okay, but they feel that they can bring them up. One thing that will impact if they even go to college is the tuition rate and how much it costs. Something that will definitely impact whether they stay in Carbondale or not is if they feel purpose here. Dani wants to work for a makeup company that is animal cruelty free, which sounds amazing. I ask Dani for some advice that the future senior or people in general will need. They said, “The only thing that matters is how you see yourself as you can see things in yourself that others won’t.” I was a little amazed by this, as I never thought of this myself, but I wish I did. Dani  has a bright future and I wouldn’t be surprised to see their name on a makeup brand one day.

I interviewed three people with different paths after high school, but even then, I didn’t see all the paths. You don’t have to go to college to be successful; at least, that’s what Nymea kept on saying that she didn’t have to but she will.  If you’re a current senior, then all I can say is find the path that leads you to your perfect future and worry about the rest of your life tomorrow.