Fall Blood Drive

Eden Reinier

The fall blood drive happens every year during the second quarter. Anyone under the age of 16 cannot participate in the blood drive, how unfortunate for the freshman and sophomores, better luck next year. However, even at the age of 16 a student needs parent permission to participate, although that limitation does not apply to anyone 17 years of age or older.

At last year’s fall blood drive, there was the incentive of Red Cross themed socks given to anyone who gave blood along with a gift card. Another incentive for participating is the extra credit given by a slew of teachers for participating or at least trying to give blood. Although that brings up some ethical problems about not being able to or not wanting to donate, but feeling it is unfair to miss out on extra credit. A creative solution to this dilemma is creating alternative extra credit opportunities that people participating in the blood drive are not privy to.

The blood drives here are notorious for being incredibly slow, that was possibly the most notable comment about the entire event, “This is so bloody slow,” joked Jishawn Kizer.

Though it was understandable considering I would not want anyone rushing when it came to taking the life force that ran through my veins by stabbing me with a needle, so the thorough yet slow process is much appreciated.

Although there have been statements regarding the finger pricks checking one’s hemoglobin, debating whether they hurt more than the actual blood giving process, “I’m pretty sure the finger prick hurts more than this,” Leah Radney said. Overall, the blood drive is a great way for students to get acquainted with the process in a familiar environment and help others out.