CCHS Hosts VEX Robotics Tournament

Latia Smith

This Saturday, February 1st, is the 7th annual Robotics Tournament in the Carbondale High School gymnasium. It will consist of teams working together to present to judges. There will be a few teams there from all over Illinois. The teams will be judged on how neat they keep their engineering notebook, how they present themselves as a team, how well they work together. This year the robot theme is all cubes and stacking them, so they will also be judged on how they incorporate the theme.  They will need to use their Math, English, Science, and Computer Science skills to successfully complete tasks. These tasks include; figuring out the torque and gear ratios using math, logging into their engineering notebook daily with English, presenting to judges with proper speech, using Science to make and test hypothesis, designing and building robots, and programming robots to operate specific ways.

During this worldwide competition, the teams use VEX equipment. Vex Robotics is a company that produces snap-together robotic parts for elementary and high school students. The company aims to help students improve their STEM skills and introduce people to the world of robotics. After the local tournament 6 teams get chosen to go to state. Then best teams from that get to compete in the world tournament. In the past, CCHS has gone to State for this competition.

Tobias Puffer and Cameron Tabor are a part of the robotics team and will be competing in the tournament on the first. Tobias is excited for the tournament and is glad that their robot claw works. Cameron likes the theme of cubes and is confident in the team. Currently, the team and sponsor Dallas Terry are looking for more members to be in robotics club for future years. If you want to learn more about robotics and support the CCHS team then come out to the tournament February 1st, 2020.

CCHS Robotics Teams' Robot
CCHS Robotics Teams’ Robot