The Perks of Being a Wallflower: The Not-So-Traditional Coming of Age Story

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky is a story in the form of letters from a boy named Charlie. Our protagonist is not so ordinary; his English teacher gives him extracurricular books to read, his brother is a football player at Penn State, and he is a high school freshman whose two best friends are step-siblings Sam and Patrick, both seniors. The story spans throughout Charlie’s entire freshman year, with tons of unexpected twists and turns that give you a feeling that leaves you tingly, and slightly uncomfortable (in a good way).

In 2012, a film adaptation of the book was released, featuring Logan Lerman, Ezra Miller, and Emma Watson as the lead roles. It won many awards such as the ACCA Best Motion Picture, Best Actor in a Leading Role, Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Best Actress in a Supporting Role, Best Adapted Screenplay, and many others.

To be completely honest, it took me three tries to start reading this book: my freshman year, when it was recommended to me by my brother, where I got three pages in before trading it for Looking For Alaska, then my junior year when again, I traded it for Will Grayson, Will Grayson, and finally in August, where once I got past the first chapter, I couldn’t put it down.

This story starts off fairly mediocre, but it gets so good so fast, and it’s most definitely become a personal favorite of mine, and I would recommend for anyone to read it, because the language is fairly simple, some of the characters can be very relatable, and it’s a story that I honestly believe everyone can easily fall in love with.